Bad breath is also known as Halitosis or Fetor oris. It is estimated to affect 1 in 4 people globally. It is a common problem that causes significant psychological distress.
- The most common cause of halitosis is bad oral hygiene.
- If particles of foods are left in the mouth, their breakdown by bacteria produces sulphur compounds leading to mouth odour.
- Keeping the mouth hydrated reduces mouth odour.
- Best treatment is regular brushing, flossing and hydration.
- Certain medical conditions such as uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, allergies are also known causes.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, after meals, with a fluorinated toothpaste.
- Avoid tobacco smoking and chewing tobacco based products.
- Rinse and gargle with an alcohol free mouth wash before bed.
- Use dry mouth sprays and stay hydrated if you have dry mouth.